The Pentagon is going to release another six detainees from Guantanamo Bay next month, according to Fox News Latino. They will be released to Uruguay, and will then be free to go wherever they want.
Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel notified Congress that the Pentagon plans to transfer six Guantánamo Bay detainees to Uruguay, possibly as soon as August, the New York Times reported.
The information was confirmed by other Obama administration officials said Wednesday, including a State Department official who told EFE, “The administration has given Congress 30 days [advance] notice about the intention to transfer these six detainees from Guantánamo to Uruguay.”
It would be the first transfer of Guantánamo Bay detainees since five former Taliban commanders were exchanged in May for Bowe Bergdahl, the Army sergeant who had been held for five years by the Taliban. The release of those detainees irritated Congress because it was not given the required 30-day notice.