Injury Update Day 10

January 4, 2012
By 8 comments

If you’re wondering why my commentary has been a bit short lately, it’s because I broke my wrist on Christmas. (No more ice skating for me, at least without some heavy-duty wrist guards.) Every other sentence I type contains at least one typo, so if I’ve missed any please forgive me.

Today the orthopedic surgeon seemed genuinely surprised that the bone that was wrenched back into place in the ER - the medical term is reduction - remains in place. That’s not to say that I believe he was disappointed that his hopes of performing another costly surgery were dashed, he truly seemed to be pleasantly surprised. (Who knew all doctors weren’t a bunch of greedy SOB’s who want to put us all under the knife?) He said that if ever he saw a fracture that he thought would slip out of place it was mine.

So, I have to continue to take it easy for a while, as there’s still a good chance the bone can shift. I can’t lift anything, but moving the fingers and at least trying to type is okay. The pain has diminished considerably. Now it just seems to come on out of nowhere, but I’ll take that over constant, all-consuming pain any day.

The prognosis remains so-far-so-good. It’s gone from a pretty significant trauma to an annoying inconvenience. I’d say that’s moving in the right direction.

vaso link

8 Responses to Injury Update Day 10

1. Joseph Hall on January 4, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Great news Karen!!

2. sheldon on January 5, 2012 at 7:01 am

Karen, I’m glad the healing is going well. The lunch offer still stands.

• Lonely Conservative on January 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

I would love to go to lunch. Pick a day.

• sheldon on January 5, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’ll email you specifics.

3. michigan on January 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

Very good news!

4. pat in michigan on January 6, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Good to hear… I still feel awful for coming over here, flinging poo and then stomping off. :(

• Lonely Conservative on January 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Don’t feel bad. :)

5. Zilla on January 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I’m happy that you’re healing is going well! More often than not, I have found doctors who prefer to see their patients get better than to have to do further intervention, even if it does mean they don’t get to rake in the big bucks. There really are doctors who go through all those years of medical school so that they can help heal people, because these days, they ain’t likely to get rich from it.